10.18.2010

5 iconic Black Metal Logos




1. Emperor - Surely you knew this was going to be here. Designed by Christophe Szpajdel, this logo is probably the most recognized black metal logo ever. It's clean, sophisticated, as well as almost symmetric design has worked for the band from beginning to end, and has adapted to many forms through their career. When I think "Definitive Black Metal Logo," I think of this logo right here.


2. Leviathan - Even though this logo is next to impossible to read, it still holds a soft spot in me with it's clever shape, creepy spikes and not to mention the drippy moon. Even though I'm not their biggest fan, I would love to own 20 shirts of this logo alone emblazoned in white or silver.




3. Deathspell Omega - What can I say, I love me some calligraphy. I get excited every time I see this logo, I expect nothing short of a treat when I decide to listen to these guys, mostly just to look at their logo and art of course. Even the lettering alone sells this logo, not to mention it would print well and be just as effective without the winged skeleton accompanying it.



4. Summon - This logo means business. Steep angular lines with mere hints of curves to them spell out BADASS no matter how you write it. It's easily read and looks good on any format. My only complaint is the minute illustration of Baphomet inside the logo, but it is forgivable.



5. Borknagar - Hate 'em or love 'em, they have a pretty sweet logo. It's much like the Emperor logo in terms of legibility as well as form. If a design could be interpreted into music, this logo would fit Borknagar perfectly; sharp points to emphasize the grim black metal roots, and flowing curves to represent their intricately melodic side

No comments:

Post a Comment