10.15.2010

Burzummed


Burzum's newest release, Belus, was released in March by Byelobog Productions. Even though the clamoring has subsided for this release, I feel I must add a few cents on the design aspect. There are a few new things here, such as a new logo, as well as a change from the typical illustrations we have all come to know and love.

After years of using the calligraphy styled logo found on every official release, it is ditched for a more ornate floral typeface logo on Belus. While you cannot blame anyone for wanting something fresh, I do not believe this was the best choice for representing Burzum as a whole. The old logo carried a sense of timelessness as well as simplicity which could be recognized easily and reproduced to any size with little or no distortion. Truthfully, the new typeface cheapens the cover. The script typeface seen here has been used to death by bands like Brodequin, Sactification, as well as a plethora of black metal bands. The ornate floral design prevalent in the type design does no justice to the bands using the typeface; it reeks of a dated victorian-esque era which does not scream "BLACK METAL!!" to me.

On top of that, the title placement is awkward. There are better solutions that could have been executed here that would have worked better. This with the combination of same point size for the band name and album name can cause confusion for first time listeners. Minor complaints I know, but this could have been executed better.

Moving on, there is something else about this cover that bugs me. I can appreciate photos of nature, scenery, woods, etc., and while I do not expect Ansel Adams from a Black metal band, this shot could be better. The sunlight being blinded out by the tree is a fine artistic statement, my complaint lies with the quality of the photo. Surely they could have found someone with a decent camera; this appears to be a photo taken with a small point and shoot camera. But still, why of all things a photo? I am sure commissioning another illustration would not be an absurd idea considering the rest of the discography consists of illustrations. Sure, Aske had a photo, but why not just stick to tradition here?

Overall, I feel like the cover was a botched job. More time could have spent on this, I know Burzum is better than that. I would like to see a whole-hearted and passionate attempt to return to the logo and album art quality I have grown to love from Burzum.

2 comments: